Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioner (PMHNP)
Admin - Health and Medical Services
Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioner (PMHNP)About Berkeley
The University of California, Berkeley, is one of the world's most iconic teaching and research institutions. Since 1868, Berkeley has fueled a perpetual renaissance, generating unparalleled intellectual, economic and social value in California, the United States and the world. Berkeley's culture of openness, freedom and acceptanceacademic and artistic, political and culturalmake it a very special place for students, faculty and staff.
Berkeley is committed to hiring and developing staff who want to work in a high performing culture that supports the outstanding work of our faculty and students. In deciding whether to apply for a staff position at Berkeley, candidates are strongly encouraged to consider the alignment of the Berkeley Workplace Culture with their potential for success at http://jobs.berkeley.edu/why-berkeley.html.
Application Review Date
The First Review Date for this job is: 02/06/2019
University Health Services (UHS) serves the campus by providing comprehensive health promotion, medical and mental health services to all University of California, Berkeley students, as well as a variety of health services for faculty and staff. Services are designed to enable students to get the most from their educational experience, minimizing the impact of illness, injury and emotional distress on their academic career. The UHS coordinates supplemental needs for off-campus care through a network of community specialists and hospitals. Medical care and wellness programs are available to faculty and staff to meet their occupational health needs and minimize lost work time.
UHS is a fully accredited ambulatory care facility. In Clinical Services, 65,000 visits occur annually in the Primary Care, Urgent Care, Occupational Health and Specialty Clinics. These visits generate ancillary encounters with the Radiology, Clinical Laboratory, Physical Therapy and Pharmacy departments. The Counseling and Psychological Services department sees an additional 15,000 visits per year. The Psychiatry Service at UHS provides valuable consultative expertise and ongoing care for patients referred by clinical services providers and counseling staff to assure high quality mental health care.
Under the supervision of the Chief of UHS Psychiatry, Mental Health Nurse Practitioners provide mental health care including diagnosis and treatment in the Counseling and Psychological Services setting at the University Health Service (UHS). Nurse Practiitoners are an integral part of both health care and administrative teams within the UHS and support the mission of the UHS by optimizing the health of individuals and campus as a whole. Individuals in this position must reflect a balance and understanding of both client care needs and efficient clinic operations.
The Chief of UHS Psychiatry provides overall direction for the Nurse Practitioner with emphasis on issues of professional practice and performance, career development and job satisfaction, including periodic performance appraisal. Other UHS leaders (e.g. Medical Director, Counseling and Psychological Services Director, etc.) and staff help to maximize the NPs effectiveness by providing feedback and direction in areas having to do with day-to-day functioning such as efficiency, patient flow, teamwork, patient satisfaction, and integrated work processes.
Duties and Responsibilities
I. CLINICAL CARE -Mental Health
1. In accordance with established UHS policies and procedures, Standardized Procedures and community standards the Mental Health Nurse Practitioner provides a variety of mental health care services.
2. Performs initial intake evaluations of patients referred to the psychiatry practice.
3. The initial evaluation includes obtaining an appropriate history relevant to the presenting circumstances, including current medications, allergies, pertinent medical and psychiatric history and an appropriate mental status and physical examination (as needed).
4. Formulates appropriate initial mental health diagnosis for individuals with common mental health complaints.
5. Formulates an appropriate disposition and/or treatment plan. This includes: ordering and interpreting diagnostic test(s) when appropriate, implementing therapeutic treatment modalities (including medications), providing appropriate patient instruction and or referrals. Prior medical and/or mental health records from outside providers will be requested as appropriate.
6. The initial treatment plan may include referral to a UHS staff psychiatrist, a community psychiatrist, a medical provider or follow up appointments with the Nurse Practitioner.
7. Counsels students with personal, medical or academic difficulties.
8. Discriminates between acute and chronic conditions and determines when to collaborate or refer to psychiatrist.
9. Works collaboratively and cooperatively with all members of the mental health care team.
10. Monitors changes in clients' mental status and medication side effects and consults with a psychiatrist or other mental health staff as appropriate.
11. Monitors patients on psychotropic medications to maximize benefits and minimize side effects. Collaborates with psychiatrist as needed.
12. Monitors and provides initial follow up on laboratory data for psychiatry patients (e.g. thyroid panels, lithium levels, etc.) Consults with psychiatrist as needed regarding changes in treatment plan.
13. Serves as a liaison to the UHS primary care and urgent care providers. This includes development of collaborative working relationships with primary care providers to coordinate referrals and medical evaluation for underlying medical conditions that may complicate mental health problems.
14. Provides assistance to the UHS psychiatry staff with patient related telephone calls. This includes answering and returning telephone calls, assessment of needs, development of an appropriate plan and consultation with the psychiatrist as needed.
15. Obtains vital signs on patients as needed for initial evaluation or ongoing care.
16. Assists psychiatrists and counseling staff with case management duties to reduce the number of psychiatric hospitalizations and support students staying in their living environments, when appropriate, including intervening with family, friends, others to enhance a supportive response.
17. Consults colleagues when appropriate and in a professional manner.
II. DOCUMENTATION OF PRACTICE
Maintains professional standards of documentation.
2. Charting notes are maintained in a succinct, legible and accurate manner.
3. Completes chart notes in a timely fashion.
4. Charting reflects the process of care, patient progress and current mental status.
5. Documents medication allergies
6. Completes appropriate forms, including but not limited to intake and closing summaries, referral forms etc.
III. ORGANIZATIONAL RESPONSIBILITIES
Demonstrates a positive, constructive attitude that facilitates the goals and mission of University Health Services.
A. Adheres to principles of quality, and client oriented standards.
1. Demonstrates professionalism, courtesy, and sensitivity in all interactions with clients and staff regardless of cultural, racial/ethnic background, sexual or gender orientation.
2. Refers administrative inquires, client complaints/concerns to appropriate supervisors.
3. Knowledgeable of client rights and responsibilities, and established rules of confidentiality and patient privacy.
4. Maintains client's psychiatric and medical record confidentiality.
5. Maintains an understanding of the social, cultural and environmental context of health, including mental health on the college campus.
B. Implements University and UHS policies and procedures.
1. Knowledgeable of UHS departments, services, and locations.
2. Knowledgeable of operational, administrative, business, and personnel policies.
a) Working knowledge of CPS, Social Services and Clinical Services policies and procedures.
C. Works collaboratively with Health Services staff following a team approach.
1. Serves on committees as assigned.
2. Participates constructively in staff meetings
IV. LEADERSHIP/PROFESSIONAL GROWTH
A. As a nursing professional demonstrates an ability to communicate knowledge both formally and informally.
1. Collaborates with other disciplines in planning, developing, gathering, implementing, and evaluating client education materials.
2. Participates in the orientation of new employees as requested.
3. Acts as a preceptor providing instruction and guidance in a constructive manner.
4. Serves in a teaching capacity and resource person for the development of other health care workers, individual clients, volunteers, and groups.
5. Engages in self evaluation and goal-setting to maintain and/or improve quality of own performance.
6. Maintains current RN, NP, NP Furnishing, DEA and CPR licensing and certification. Provides timely documentation to UHS.
B. Contributes to the professional development of nursing and Nurse Practitioner Practice.
1. Demonstrates and supports professionalism in nursing and Nurse Practitioner practice.
2. Develops and maintains area(s) of clinical concentration or specialty that are consistent with UHS
3. Serves as a resource person for other nursing staff in the enhancement of basic nursing practice.
4. Takes responsibility for own educational needs and keeps current on literature pertinent to ongoing advanced practice. Shares information from research in professional literature with other staff.
5. Participates in the development of standards, policies and procedures essential to the delivery of quality medical, nursing, and preventative health care services.
6. Assists in identifying mental health related NP staff educational needs and issues in NP practice. Prepares professional literature to share with other NPs and/or appropriate staff.
7. Contributes to (and participates) in Quality Improvement activities as needed e.g. case management conferences.
V. WORK STANDARDS
A. Organized and able to prioritize workload.
1. Assures timely patient care. Keeps pace within appointment system and appropriate pace for drop-in patient load within the limits of available resources and within expected goals of productivity.
2. Contributes to productivity of unit by demonstrating an ability to work efficiently.
3. Maintains communications and coordinates functions with staff.
4. Maintains a professional demeanor even when under pressure or difficult situations are encountered.
5. Demonstrates respect for co-workers by keeping a reasonably clean and well-organized work area.
B. Knowledgeable in emergency policies and procedures.
1. Knows emergency/disaster/infection control plan.
2. Knows use and location of emergency equipment at a level appropriate to the assigned unit.
a. Initiates basic CPR as needed.
C. Adheres to hours of work and payroll responsibilities.
1. Demonstrates flexibility in work schedules which may include rotation to other clinical areas as needed and may include evening and weekend shift assignment.
- Active State of California RN License and NP Certification.
- NP Furnishing Number and DEA License.
- NPI Number.
- BLS certification.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Excellent customer service and people skills.
- Minimum three years experience in a high volume mental health care setting or equivalent.
Salary to commensurate with experience.
For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit:
How to Apply
Please submit your cover letter and resume as a single attachment when applying.
- This is a 50-100% FTE variable appointment.
- Employment is contingent on successful completion of: Background Check, Acceptable Medical Evaluation that includes infectious disease surveillance and proof of current required vaccinations or immunity levels, and successful credentials verification (if applicable).
This is a designated position requiring fingerprinting and a background check due to the nature of the job responsibilities. Berkeley does hire people with conviction histories and reviews information received in the context of the job responsibilities. The University reserves the right to make employment contingent upon successful completion of the background check.
This position has been identified as a Mandated Reporter required to report the observed or suspected abuse or neglect of children, dependent adults, or elders to designated law enforcement or social service agencies. We reserve the right to make employment contingent upon completion of signed statements acknowledging the responsibilities of a Mandated Reporter.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. For more information about your rights as an applicant see: http://www.eeoc.gov/employers/upload/poster_screen_reader_optimized.pdf
For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see:
To apply, visit https://jobsprod.is.berkeley.edu/psp/jobsprod/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_CE.GBL?Page=HRS_CE_JOB_DTL&Action=A&JobOpeningId=26305&SiteId=1&PostingSeq=1
University of California, Berkeley
Online App. Form:https://apptrkr.com/1411968 Apply through Institution's Website
Â© Copyright 2019 Internet Employment Linkage, Inc.
Pathology Assistant/Grosser - Cincinnati, OH - $1,000 Sign On BonusLabCorpLocation Cincinnati, Ohio Job ID 18-88946 Would you like to be a part of a team that plays a critical role in providing quality patient care and improving lives?3 minute agoShareCincinnati, OH
Financial Management SupportInternational Business Machines CorporationFinancial Management Support 229385BR Job Description IBM Global Business Services (GBS) is a team of business, strategy and technology consultants enabling8 minute agoShareBirmingham, AL
Surveillance SpecialistInternational Business Machines CorporationSurveillance Specialist 229563BR Job Description IBM Global Business Services (GBS) is a team of business, strategy and technology consultants enabling enterprises to8 minute agoShareEssex, VT
Design Verification Engineer (NCG)SamsungPosition Summary1. Design high quality products with semiconductor design verification technology. 2. Research various technologies related to semiconductor design12 minute agoShareAustin, TX
Senior Manager, Product PlanningSamsungPosition SummarySmartphone Product Planner (Manager)Overview: This role will be a part of the US smartphone advanced product planning team and tasked to drive and12 minute agoShareRichardson, TX