Ortho-Tech / Medical Assistant - Specialty Clinic (9251C)
Admin - Health and Medical Services
Ortho-Tech / Medical Assistant - Specialty Clinic (9251C)About Berkeley
The University of California, Berkeley, is one of the world's most iconic teaching and research institutions. Since 1868, Berkeley has fueled a perpetual renaissance, generating unparalleled intellectual, economic and social value in California, the United States and the world. Berkeley's culture of openness, freedom and acceptanceacademic and artistic, political and culturalmake it a very special place for students, faculty and staff.
Berkeley is committed to hiring and developing staff who want to work in a high performing culture that supports the outstanding work of our faculty and students. In deciding whether to apply for a staff position at Berkeley, candidates are strongly encouraged to consider the alignment of the Berkeley Workplace Culture with their potential for success at http://jobs.berkeley.edu/why-berkeley.html.
Application Review Date
The First Review Date for this job is: 2/12/19
UC Berkeley's University Health Services (UHS) is a dynamic health system that serves the campus through comprehensive medical, mental health, insurance, and health promotion services for all students, as well as a variety of health programs for faculty and staff. UHS is deeply committed to ensuring affordable, well-integrated, multidisciplinary healthcare that effectively supports a diverse campus community, through equitable access and culturally competent, high-quality programs and services.
The Clinical Services Program within UHS includes urgent care, primary care and specialty clinics, laboratory, pharmacy, physical therapy, radiology, and a major medical insurance plan. Approximately 65,000 visits occur annually including Primary Care, Urgent Care, Occupational Health and Specialty Clinics. Services are designed to enable students to get the most from their educational experience, minimizing the impact of illness, injury and emotional distress on their academic career. These visits generate ancillary encounters with the Radiology, Clinical Laboratory, Physical Therapy and Pharmacy departments. The Counseling and Psychological Services department sees an additional 15,000 visits per year. Learn more at uhs.berkeley.edu
- Greets patients, verifies eligibility, accurately completes registration of patients and verifies that compliance forms are complete. May handle more complex registration questions or patient complaints.
- Coverage of specialty/AT front desk which answers a high volume of phone calls requiring specialized knowledge of providers and appointment types and schedules for the Specialty and Allergy/Travel clinics.
- Schedules/reschedules patient appointments, using computerized appointment system to maximize clinic efficiency.
- Assists in maintaining smooth clinic operations and optimal patient flow: demonstrates initiative in carrying out duties. Notices issues with and offers solutions to work flow issues. Helps evaluate and recommend changes in newly implemented workflows.
- Directs or escorts patients as necessary. Assures that patients leaving the area have appropriate instructions, forms and referral information.
- Documents appropriate health history and all patient interactions according to established guidelines
- Takes vital signs and rooms patient as per unit guidelines. Documents findings and reports abnormal findings to clinicians.
- Collects urine and performs rapid pregnancy testing.
- Assists clinicians with examinations and procedures, using sterile techniques if indicated.
- Fits, applies, and instructs patients in the donning and use of ace wraps, splints, slings, braces, boots and post op shoes.
- Fits and instructs patients in crutch and cane use.
- Reviews chart orders after client appointments and assures client receives appropriate paperwork
- Performs procedures according to department guidelines. May include wound care, suture removal, injections and placing TB skin tests with the appropriate level of supervision.
- Performs spirometry and audiometry testing according NIOSH standards
- Reports, intervenes appropriately and documents unsafe conditions and/or adverse patient conditions. Completes incident reports as per UHS protocol. May be a resource for intervening in an event as it is occurring.
- Demonstrates ability to use equipment correctly and safely. Notices and reports any problems with equipment. May research parts and replacement products if equipment is broken. Acts as a resource for staff needing assistance with equipment.
- Responsible for maintaining inventory, ordering and restocking clinic supplies (must be able to lift supplies)
- Cleans rooms in assigned area as per protocol
- Process contaminated articles, prepares packs for sterilization, and sterilizes equipment per infection control guidelines. Serves as mentor/preceptor in training staff in equipment sterilization
- Other duties as assigned
- Assures time is allocated for special program responsibilities which must be balanced with clinic operations.
- Skilled at organizing and prioritizing workload for timely task completion with frequent interruptions or competing demands
- Maintains knowledge of individual Specialists area of expertise and abilities and shares with colleagues
- Casting, splinting and removal of splints/casts and other similar devices
- Assist with minor procedure- set
- Provide clinician support for Injections: hold cold spray, set up tray, bandage.
- Training specialists and assisting specialists with EHR or IT needs.
- Referral and appointment coordination: arrange urgent appointments with hospital (ED visit), specialists office or imaging center. Coordinates with Student Health Insurance Office for authorizations.
- Coordinate follow up care for specialists in office including sending reports, documents, insurance information
- Ultrasound machine/equipment sterilization
- Logging reportable information into the CalRedie system
- Coordinates the IPledge program with the Specialty Dermatologists
- Prepares the weekly/monthly specialist schedules. Assumes responsibility for timely completion and distribution of schedules.
- Helps supervisor with yearly competency check scheduling and paperwork. Assists supervisor with training tools.
- Assists in the update and maintenance of unit manuals.
- Serves as an active participant in relevant and assigned UHS committees
- Skilled in EHR Template System; builds and amends clinician templates as directed, works closely with department supervisor
- Demonstrates responsibility and accountability for own practice
- Anticipates interpersonal conflict and intervenes to promote resolution of conflict; deals with conflict on a one-to-one basis
- Requests and accepts constructive feedback
- Respects rights of others
- Demonstrates flexibility; accepts assignments willingly or discusses concerns with supervisor/team leader.
- Promotes collegial relationships among staff
- Shares knowledge in a constructive manner
- Demonstrates knowledge of and applies safety principles as identified by UHS
- Seeks to improve skills and knowledge and meet job related goals via local, regional and community resources
- Attends staff meetings and keeps abreast of current issues when not able to attend. Actively participates in discussion of problem identification and resolution
- Demonstrates punctuality to work and required meetings. Maintains attendance and follows call-in policy as per UHS and unit guidelines
Knowledge and Skills
- Excellent customer service skills
- Demonstrates an in-depth knowledge of the diverse patient groups served at UHS and the scope of services our patient groups are entitled to based on eligibility
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Highly collaborative (team) employee, excellent customer service skills
- Ability to understand and follow written protocols for patient care
- Demonstrates advanced utilization of medical terminology
- Must understand and comply with HIPAA, and all regulations regarding the confidentiality of medical records
- Well-developed people skills and the ability to remain calm under pressure
- Sensitivity to ethnic, culture and lifestyle diversity
- Must be literate with EHR systems and patient tracking. Acts as resource to others with EHR questions
- Demonstrates skills at prioritizing work and problem solving; ability to organize, coordinate and complete projects effectively and within deadlines
- Must be able to work in a collaborative manner
- Graduation from high school (or GED) and appropriate experience, or an equivalent combination of education and experience. Skills, knowledge and abilities essential to the successful performance of the duties assigned to the position.
- Current BLS/CPR certification
- Current Medical Assistant Diploma
- Current certification in casting/splinting. (Required in first 3 months of position)
- Current spirometry certification from NIOSH approved program (Required in first 3 months)
- Current CA phlebotomy certification (CPT1) (if performing phlebotomy)
$26.54 - $30.47 per hour.
For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit:
How to Apply
Please submit your cover letter and resume as a single attachment when applying.
- Employment is contingent on successful completion of: Background Check, Acceptable Medical Evaluation that includes infectious disease surveillance and proof of current required vaccinations or immunity levels, and successful credentials verification (if applicable).
This is a designated position requiring fingerprinting and a background check due to the nature of the job responsibilities. Berkeley does hire people with conviction histories and reviews information received in the context of the job responsibilities. The University reserves the right to make employment contingent upon successful completion of the background check.
This position has been identified as a Mandated Reporter required to report the observed or suspected abuse or neglect of children, dependent adults, or elders to designated law enforcement or social service agencies. We reserve the right to make employment contingent upon completion of signed statements acknowledging the responsibilities of a Mandated Reporter.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. For more information about your rights as an applicant see: http://www.eeoc.gov/employers/upload/poster_screen_reader_optimized.pdf
For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see:
To apply, visit https://jobsprod.is.berkeley.edu/psp/jobsprod/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_CE.GBL?Page=HRS_CE_JOB_DTL&Action=A&JobOpeningId=26340&SiteId=1&PostingSeq=1
University of California, Berkeley
Online App. Form:https://apptrkr.com/1412002 Apply through Institution's Website
Â© Copyright 2019 Internet Employment Linkage, Inc.
Principal Product Manager - TechAmazon.comBasic Qualifications<\/h2>7+ years of product management experience with completion of full product lifecycle (from concept through GTM)<\/li> BS or BA in6 minute agoShareSeattle, WA
First Assistant - SurgicalAscensionJob ID: 316599First Assistant - SurgicalGlendale, Wisconsin Regular / Rotating We Are Hiring First Assistant - Surgical Orthopedic Hospital of WI Full-Time, Rotating10 minute agoShareGlendale, WI
Truck Driver, Class A - Full Timeryder (Ryder Systems, Inc.)Position DescriptionRyder is hiring Class A drivers in Kennewick WA! Apply Now! About the position: Great Pay: $30 hourly; weekly average $1,540 Driver Support: must10 minute agoShareKennewick, WA
Assistant ManagerFoot LockerOverviewAre you a game changer? Can you assist in leading your store team to provide extreme customer service including selling, employee management, customer relations,10 minute agoShareCharlotte, NC
Respiratory-Reg TherapistAscensionJob ID: 316510Respiratory-Reg TherapistAustin, Texas Regular / Rotating We Are Hiring Title: Registered Respiratory Therapist City, State: Austin, TX Location: Chevy10 minute agoShareAustin, TX