- Provides the Associate Chief Nurses (ACNs) with full information and specific recommendation concerning administrative aspects of managing the service;
- Represents the Associate Chief Nurses (ACNs) at various meetings within the host Medical Center, throughout the VISN, with affiliate universities, or with other grant or administrative/oversight agencies
- Participates in management meetings;
- Regularly advises and assists the ACNs in problems involving day-to-day functioning of the center;
- Participates with other staff members in evaluating effectiveness and participates in identifying problems of concern to management and suggest approaches for dealing with various problems;
- This position recognizes the need for new policies and brings such policies to the attention of management;
- Prepares and analyzes statistics and administrative reports relevant to Patient Care Services;
- Participates in the recurring systematic review of the overall Nursing activities and makes necessary provisions for periodic reviews of the research support projects to assure adherence to policies and procedures;
- Responsible for the development of the position descriptions for Nursing Administration support staff;
- Develops both long and short-range policies and plans by coordinating the medical administration needs of the organization(s) for which accountable;
- Participates in the analysis and interpretation of workload and other data used in resource planning;
- Designs and implements continuing education program to meet needs of staff to comply with VHA and accreditation agencies requirements;
- Performs budget execution functions to ensure that expenditures are consistent with budget formulation plans as the fiscal year progresses;
- Develops the need for and maintains an awareness of available resources, and makes recommendation to Medical Center management regarding needs, distribution or redistribution of these resources;
- Creates and maintains records on personnel salaries for budgetary purposes and facilitating any university interpersonal agreements;
- Plans a system of internal control which assures the fiscal management of the Medical Center will be maintained on a sound basis in accordance with generally accepted accounting practices;
- Develops monthly and quarterly cost ceilings while maintaining a running control of funds to ensure that accounts are within authorized levels;
- Serves as key figure in manpower utilization, assuring recruitment and retention within approved ceilings;
- Sets priorities and establishes schedules; outlines performance plans and evaluates performance;
- Leads in administering programs concerning such matters as merit promotion, labor management relations, and position management;
- Complies with EEO objectives
- Plays a central role in developing and coordinating internal review systems to assure administrative activities are in compliance with agency, accrediting, and regulatory requirements;
- Ensures employee safety through inspections, policies and staff education;
- Resource Management Council
- Expert Staffing Panel
- Clinical Product Review
- Space Utilization
- Emergency Management
- HR Action Update and Review
- A-Team (Contract Review Committee)
- AO Forum
- Nursing Operations Committee
- Director's Staff Meeting
- Nursing Equipment
Job family (Series)
0341 Administrative Officer
RequirementsRequirements Conditions of Employment
- You must be a U.S. Citizen to apply for this job
- Designated and/or random drug testing may be required
- Selective Service Registration is required for males born after 12/31/1959
- You may be required to serve a probationary period
- Subject to background/security investigation
- Selected applicants will be required to complete an online onboarding process
Time-In-Grade Requirement: Applicants who are current Federal employees and have held a GS grade any time in the past 52 weeks must also meet time-in-grade requirements by the closing date of this announcement. For a GS-9 position you must have served 52 weeks at the GS-07. For a GS-11 position, you must have served 52 weeks at the GS-9 grade level. Grade may have been in any occupation, but must have been held in the Federal service. An SF-50 that shows your time-in-grade eligibility must be submitted with your application materials. If the most recent SF-50 has an effective date within the past year, it may not clearly demonstrate you possess one-year time-in-grade, as required by the announcement. In this instance, you must provide an additional SF-50 that clearly demonstrates one-year time-in-grade.
Note: Time-In-Grade requirements also apply to former Federal employees applying for reinstatement as well as current employees applying for Veterans Employment Opportunities Act of 1998 (VEOA) appointment.
You may qualify based on your experience and/or education as described below:
EXPERIENCE: One year of Specialized Experience at the next lower grade is required; you must show evidence of training or experience of sufficient scope and quality of your ability to do the work of this position. Evidence which demonstrates you possess the knowledge, skills, and ability to perform the duties of this position must be supported by detailed descriptions of such on your resume.
Applicable Education Substitution for the required experience:
GS-9 Applicants may substitute education for the required experience. To qualify based on education for this grade level you must have a master's or equivalent degree, OR 2 full years of progressively higher-level graduate education leading to such a degree, OR LL.B. or J.D., that is related.
GS-11 Applicants may substitute education for the required experience. To qualify based on education for this grade level you must have Ph.D. or equivalent doctoral degree OR 3 full years of progressively higher-level graduate education leading to such a degree OR LL.M., if related. A transcript must be submitted with your application if you are basing all of your qualifications on education.
Combination: Applicants may also combine education and experience to qualify at this level. You must have an combination of specialized experience and education beyond a bachelor's degree.
SCREEN-OUT ELEMENT: Your qualifications will first be evaluated against the prescribed screen-out element(s) in the on-line questionnaire. Those applicants who appear to possess at least the minimal acceptable qualification requirement are considered for further rating; those who do not are rated ineligible and are eliminated.
You will be rated on the following Competencies for this position:
- Contract Administration
- Financial Management
- Project Management
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religions; spiritual; community; student; social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
Note: A full year of work is considered to be 35-40 hours of work per week. Part-time experience will be credited on the basis of time actually spent in appropriate activities. Applicants wishing to receive credit for such experience must indicate clearly the nature of their duties and responsibilities in each position and the number of hours a week spent in such employment.
Physical Requirements: The work is primarily sedentary, although some slight physical effort may be required. Typically, the employee may sit comfortably to do the work. However, there may be some walking, standing, bending, carrying light items, driving an automobile, etc. No special physical characteristics are required to perform the work.
For more information on these qualification standards, please visit the United States Office of Personnel Management's website at https://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/classification-qualifications/general-schedule-qualification-standards/. Education
A transcript must be submitted with your application if you are basing all or part of your qualifications on education.Additional information
Note: Only education or degrees recognized by the U.S. Department of Education from accredited colleges, universities, schools, or institutions may be used to qualify for Federal employment. You can verify your education here: http://ope.ed.gov/accreditation/. If you are using foreign education to meet qualification requirements, you must send a Certificate of Foreign Equivalency with your transcript in order to receive credit for that education. For further information, visit: http://www.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ous/international/usnei/us/edlite-visitus-forrecog.html.
Receiving Service Credit or Earning Annual (Vacation) Leave: Federal Employees earn annual leave at a rate (4, 6 or 8 hours per pay period) which is based on the number of years they have served as a Federal employee. VA may offer newly-appointed Federal employee's credit for their job-related non-federal experience or active duty uniformed military service. This credited service can be used in determining the rate at which they earn annual leave. Such credit must be requested and approved prior to the appointment date and is not guaranteed.
Special Employment Consideration: VA encourages persons with disabilities to apply, including those eligible for hiring under 5 CFR 213.3102(u), Schedule A, Appointment of persons with disabilities [i.e., intellectual disabilities, severe physical disabilities, or psychiatric disabilities], and/or Disabled veterans with a compensable service-connected disability of 30% or more. Contact the Agency Contact for information on how to apply under this appointment authority via the Selective Placement Coordinator.
The Interagency Career Transition Assistance Plan (ICTAP) and Career Transition Assistance Plan (CTAP) provide eligible displaced Federal/VA competitive service employees with selection priority over other candidates for competitive service vacancies. To be qualified you must submit appropriate documentation (a copy of the agency notice, your most recent performance rating, and your most recent SF-50 noting current position, grade level, and duty location) and be found well-qualified for this vacancy. To be well-qualified: applicants must possess experience that exceeds the minimum qualifications of the position including all selective factors, and who are proficient in most of the required competencies of the job. Information about ICTAP and CTAP eligibility is on OPM's Career Transition Resources website at http://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/workforce-restructuring/employee-guide-to-career-transition/.
Placement Policy: The posting of this announcement does not obligate management to fill a vacancy or vacancies by promotion. The position may be filled by reassignment, change to lower grade, transfer, appointment, or reinstatement. Management may use any one or any combination of these methods to fill the position.
It is the policy of the VA to not deny employment to those that have faced financial hardships or periods of unemployment.
This job opportunity announcement may be used to fill additional vacancies.
Veterans and Transitioning Service Members: Please visit the VA for Vets site for career-search tools for Veterans seeking employment at VA, career development services for our existing Veterans, and coaching and reintegration support for military service members.
For more information on the "Who may apply" eligibility requirements, please refer to the OHRM Status Candidates and Other Candidate Definitions document.
If you are unable to apply online view the following link for information regarding an Alternate Application.
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
IN DESCRIBING YOUR EXPERIENCE, PLEASE BE CLEAR AND SPECIFIC. WE WILL NOT MAKE ASSUMPTIONS REGARDING YOUR EXPERIENCE.Background checks and security clearance Security clearance
Narrative responses are not required at this time. If you are referred for consideration, you may be asked to submit additional job related information, which may include, but not limited to; responses to the knowledge, skills and abilities; completion of a work sample, and/or contact for an interview.Your resume and/or supporting documentation will be verified. Please follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may affect your rating or consideration for employment.
OtherDrug test required
NoPosition sensitivity and risk
Non-sensitive (NS)/Low RiskTrust determination process
Required DocumentsRequired Documents
To apply for this position, you must provide a complete Application Package which includes:
The following documents are accepted, and may be required if applicable to your eligibility and/or qualifications for this position. Please use this checklist to make sure you have included other documents required for your application, such as a copy of your transcript (if using education to qualify), SF-50's (current/former Federal employees), documentation to support Veterans Preference claims, or ICTAP/CTAP documentation (for displaced Federal employees). You will not be contacted for additional information.
- Cover Letter
- DD-214/ Statement of Service
- Disability Letter (VA)
- Other (1)
- Separation Notice (RIF)
- SF-50/ Notification of Personnel Action
SF-50, Notification of Personnel Action (if applicable for Time in Grade and/or Eligibility):
- Most recent SF-50 if you are a current or former Federal employee
- An SF-50 showing your time-in-grade eligibility must be submitted with your application materials. If the most recent SF-50 has an effective date within the past year, it may not clearly demonstrate you possess one-year time-in-grade, as required by the announcement. In this instance, you must provide an additional SF-50 that clearly demonstrates one-year time-in-grade
- Award 50's do not provide sufficient information and will not be accepted for the purpose of verifying time-in-grade.
- Examples of appropriate SF-50's include:
- Within grade increases at the highest grade held; or
- Promotions with an effective date more than one year old; or
- SF-50's at the highest grade held with an effective date more than one year old.
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.
A career with the U.S. Government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding. Learn more about federal benefits.
Review our benefits
Eligibility for benefits depends on the type of position you hold and whether your position is full-time, part-time, or intermittent. Contact the hiring agency for more information on the specific benefits offered.
This position is located in the Department of Veterans Affairs, Mid-Atlantic Health Care Network (VISN 6), Durham VA Medical Center, Patient Care Services (Nursing Service), Durham, NC. The primary duties of the position include responsibility for providing and obtaining a variety of management services essential to the direction and operation of an organization.
Management Review and Planning 40%
Management Committee Responsibilities 10%
Promotion Potential: The selectee may be promoted to the full performance level without further competition when all regulatory, qualification, and performance requirements are met. Selection at a lower grade level does not guarantee promotion to the full performance level.
Work Schedule: Monday- Friday, 8:00am - 4:30pm
Telework: Yes, On a Ad Hoc Basis
Virtual: This is not a virtual position.
Position Description/PD#: Administrative Officer/PD061800 and PD068170
Relocation/Recruitment Incentives: Not Authorized
Financial Disclosure Report: Not required Travel Required
Not requiredSupervisory status
Help This job is open to
Federal employees - Competitive service
Current or former competitive service federal employees.
Federal employees - Excepted service
Current excepted service federal employees.
Internal to an agency
Current federal employees of this agency.
This vacancy announcement is open to current and former, permanent federal employees and Veterans.
Junior Fraud Investigator & AnalystNew York City Department: VP of Compliance | Locat...$66,442 - $95,587 a yearJob details Salary $66,442 - $95,587 a year Full Job Description The New York City Housing Authority (NYCHA) is the nation’s largest public housing4 minute agoShareManhattan, NY
Administrative Assistant - Parks & RecreationCity of Astoria$20.12 - $24.45 an hourFull Job Description DEPARTMENT SUMMARY The citizens of Astoria enjoy a wide array of parks, open spaces and diverse recreational programs. The community takes great29 minute agoShareAstoria, OR 97103
Customer Service Representative - Remote within Atlanta, GAUnitedHealth GroupTraining classes start soon - apply today! If putting a smile on someone’s face puts one on yours, you belong on our team. Here at Optum and UnitedHealth Group ,1 hour agoShareAtlanta, GA 30328
Remote Office AssistantTurbonomic, Inc$18 - $24 an hourWe are looking for a competent Remote Office Assistant to help with the organization and running of the daily administrative operations of the company in a fast paced7 hour agoShareRemote
HR AssistantEmployU, Inc$16.82 an hourDescription: This position pays $16.82/hour and starts at 30 hours/week with the possibility of 40 hours/week in the future. Join Our Team! Are you looking for a9 hour agoShareRemote