Gas Attendant Job Description
Gas attendants pump gas, perform general maintenance on vehicles, collect money for purchases, and help keep the property clean. Gas stations hire gas attendants to work full- and part-time shifts during all hours, including weekends and holidays, as many gas stations are open 24/7. Gas attendants primarily work outdoors in the gas station lot and may be asked to travel to other branches in their local area to help staff stations that are short on employees. Gas attendants primarily report to the store or shift manager or the assistant manager.
Gas Attendant Duties and Responsibilities
Job responsibilities for gas attendants vary based on the services and products offered by the gas station. However, these core duties are generally the same:
Gas attendants greet customers when they approach the station and ask if they need assistance with anything provided by the store.
Gas attendants pump gasoline into customer vehicles based on their fuel type selection and the amount of gas they request.
Gas attendants wash vehicle windshields and windows.
Conduct Customer Transactions
Gas attendants sell and process cash and credit payments for items such as food, beverages, and lottery tickets. They also check customer identification before selling items like cigarettes and alcohol.
Clean the Gas Station
Gas attendants keep their work station and customer areas clean and organized by taking out the trash, sweeping floors and parking lots, and performing general housekeeping tasks. This includes keeping the bathrooms clean.
Gas attendants refill outdoor gas station supplies, such as window washing fluid, ice coolers, and paper towel dispensers. They also help stock display shelves inside the store.
Check Vehicle Fluids
Gas attendants check and top off common vehicle fluids such as oil, transmission fluid, and antifreeze.
Inspect Tire Pressure
Gas attendants check tire air pressure and add more air if needed.
Gas attendants watch for potential criminal activity and report any suspicious-looking characters near the station to the manager or the police department.
Gas Attendant Skills and Qualifications
Gas attendants use customer service and sales skills to fulfill customer requests. They work outdoors in all weather conditions while maintaining a quick, efficient pace. Gas stations prefer candidates who have the following skills:
- Physical fitness – gas attendants handle gas pumps, lift car hoods, carry inventory items, and work quickly in cold conditions, hot temperatures, and inclement weather, tasks that all require stamina and endurance
- Customer service – gas attendants use customer service skills to greet and interact with customers
- Mathematics – because gas attendants collect payment for sold products and services and make change, some basic math skills are required
- Salesmanship – gas attendants use sales skills to sell extra products and services to customers
- Multitasking – because gas attendants service multiple vehicles and customers at once, and also tend to several tasks at the same time, good multitasking skills are essential
- Attention to detail – gas attendants notice even small problems when cleaning and performing vehicle maintenance tasks, so employers look for professionals who maintain good attention to detail
Tools of the Trade
Gas attendants work regularly with these tools:
- Payment tools (cash registers, credit card machines)
- Vehicle fluids (windshield fluid, oil, transmission fluid, water, antifreeze)
- Gas station equipment (gas pumps, air compressors, tire gauges)
- Cleaning equipment (mops, brooms, mop buckets, squeegees)
Job Type: Part-time
Salary: $8.25 /hour
- One location
Hours per week:
This Company Describes Its Culture as:
- Detail-oriented -- quality and precision-focused
- People-oriented -- supportive and fairness-focused
- Team-oriented -- cooperative and collaborative
- Monday to Friday
- Weekends required
- Holidays required
- Day shift
- Night shift
Houseperson Come for a job and stay for great career!Winstar World Casino & ResortJob details Job Type Full-time Part-time Full Job Description Responsible for assuring cleanliness of guest floor corridors, foyers, stairwells, and public vending2 hour agoShareThackerville, OK 73459
Component Preparation Attendant I (2nd or 3rd shift) Virtual Hiring EventTeva PharmaceuticalsJob details Salary $23 - $29 an hour Job Type Full-time .mosaic-provider-ijp-jobdetails-overview1 day agoShareIrvine, CA 92618
Flight Attendant EWRGoJet Airlines LLC.Job details Salary $19.29 per flight hour Job Type Full-time Full Job Description Does getting paid to travel sound like your idea of a dream job? That’s3 day agoShareNewark, NJ 07114+4 locations
Server / Food and Beverage AttendantLedgestone - A Civitas Senior Living CommunityCommunity: Ledgestone Senior Living Address: 13150 Four Star Blvd, Austin, TX 78737 *$500 bonus for new employees!* Add some Passion to your career! Here at our6 day agoShareAustin, TX 78737
Director of Front OfficeLUXE HotelsJob details Job Type Full-time Full Job Description The Luxe Sunset Blvd Hotel is currently looking to add a Banquets House Attendant to our team. When you join the6 day agoShareLos Angeles, CA 90015+1 location