Copy Editor Needed for Long-Term Crime Fiction Novels: Thriller – Suspense
Emston Media LTD is looking to secure a meticulous copy editor for multiple novel-length books (60,000-70,000 words) within the crime fiction thriller-mystery-suspense genre.
We are looking for a dependable freelance copy editor to work with long-term in a team environment. While this will be on a book-by-book basis in the beginning, we will need many books copyedited on a regular (weekly and monthly) basis.
Scope of work:
Utilizing our online platform, you ensure each element of a story is consistent, cohesive, and complete by:
· Correcting any typos, especially spelling, grammar, punctuation, and syntax errors
· Filling in missing words
· Eliminating repetitive wording
· Removing extra spaces and fixing other minor formatting issues
· Creating new paragraphs to break up long passages
· Ensuring consistent spelling, hyphenation, numerals, fonts, and capitalization
· Flagging ambiguous or factually incorrect sentences
· Tracking larger concerns like discrepancies in the plot, setting, and character traits, using an in-depth Character List as a guide
· Checking for continuity errors and flagging those that aren’t tied up
· Using the following guides:
- Chicago Manual of Style
- Emston Media LTD Guidelines
- Merriam-Webster Dictionary
You will work with the head copy editor, head series editor, and team as you learn the style Emston Media LTD adheres to, and receive feedback on each book with the goal of you working independently by your fourth book. A quality check will always be made.
· Experience copyediting using Microsoft Word Track Changes (must have the most up-to-date version of Word).
· Willing to learn our author voice and style.
· Copyedit in both third person and first person point of views, past and present tense, while alternating character POVs per each scene.
· Excellent fact-checking skills. The ability to fact-check scientific/forensic/police procedure details is preferred.
· The ability to spot inconsistencies within scenes and between series, as well as fact-check details using a detailed character list.
· Deadline driven and able to respond to communication within 24 hours—very important.
· Must be proficient in the Chicago Manual of Style, Merriam-Webster Dictionary, and be able to copyedit using our Emston Media Guidelines for style.
· Work in an online shared team environment.
· Be able to fill in for another copy editor if necessary.
· Sign an NDA.
· Experience in crime fiction a plus.
Our novels are geared toward women, but we also have a significant male readership. Our head copy editor will go over your work, and if needed, send it back to you for revisions and/or suggestions or to answer questions. You will be working with a team experienced in the genre on an online shared environment, and you must be open to constructive criticism from another set of eyes. The team will provide help and suggestions where needed. The goal is to work together to create perfect crime fiction novels and for you to be working independently after Emston’s style is learned.
Please be sure you will have the time to work with us and to devote to copyediting a full-length novel (60-70,000 words) with two copyediting passes in 6 business days on a deadline that must be met for publishing purposes. We need a copy editor with good communication skills, as communicating with us for deadlines and with the editors about errors or discrepancies found is a must. We work as a team and care about our editors. This is a good opportunity for someone who wants job security, and comes with the possibly for promotion within the Emston organization.
Content must be original, and no plagiarism will be tolerated!
Please note that work will be WORK FOR HIRE. You will own no rights to the work, your name will appear nowhere on or within it, and Emston Media LTD will own all rights, including reselling and distribution rights. You must be willing to sign an NDA for each book.
We are looking for quality, professional copy editors who work at a high standard. If you are interested, please include the following in your proposal:
1. Your copyediting fee for one 60,000 word novel.
2. Your copyediting fee per word.
3. Number of words you can copyedit in one month.
4. A brief explanation of your skills/resume and why you think you are right for this project.
5. A sample of your copyediting if possible.
Thanks for your interest. Emston Media LTD looks forward to hearing from you.
Job Type: Part-time
Pay: $19.03 - $22.92 per hour
- Flexible schedule
- Referral program
- Choose your own hours
- Monday to Friday
- Weekend availability
Supplemental pay types:
- Bonus pay
Work Location: Remote
Amazon Air Associate - Anytime PayAmazon Warehouse$19.50 an hourShift: Thu, Fri, Sat, Sun 05:30pm - 04:00am Duration: FULL_TIME Start Date: 2023-06-15 Amazon Air Job Overview3 day agoShareSan Bernardino, CA 92408 (San Bernardino International Airport area)+6 locations
Package Handler 1 Part-TimePitney Bowes$17 an hourPart-timeWeekend availability +2Job Description: Join our team and earn $17 per hour! Pitney Bowes is now hiring for Part Time Direct Hire Parcel Package Handler I positions in our Irving, TX3 day agoShareIrving, TX+2 locations
Software Engineer Senior - Run the BankPNC Financial Services GroupEstimated $94.8K - $120K a yearJob Profile Position Overview At PNC, our people are our greatest differentiator and competitive advantage in the markets we serve. We are all united in delivering3 day agoShareCleveland, OH 44135 (Puritas-Longmead area)+6 locations
Amazon Fulfillment Center Warehouse AssociateAmazon Warehouse$18.25 an hourSeasonalMonday to FridayAmazon Fulfillment Center Warehouse Associate Job Overview You’ll be part of the Amazon warehouse team that gets orders ready for3 day agoShareTracy, CA 95377+15 locations
Amazon Warehouse Worker - Anytime PayAmazon Warehouse$18.40 an hourSeasonalMonday to FridayShift: Thu, Fri, Sat 06:00pm - 06:30am Duration: REDUCED_TIME Start Date: 2023-06-15 Amazon Fulfillment Center Warehouse Associate Job3 day agoShareCanton, MS 39046+126 locations