Victim Witness Assistant (Office Automation)
- Receiving calls and correspondence from victims and witnesses concerning a variety of difficulties they may experience as a direct result of a crime;
- Providing information to victims on schedule changes, status of defendant's pleas, results of trial and whether a defendant is incarcerated and for how long, opportunities to address the Court, and post-sentencing notification;
- Assisting Victim-Witness staff or other support staff in the office with logistics of court events, as necessary, by dealing with concerns or problems of employers and creditors, preparing witnesses to testify by explaining processes and procedures and resources available to them, providing information on restitution to attorneys, and forwarding Victim Impact Statements to the appropriate office;
- Inputting victim data into applicable database(s), and producing notification documents using the automated victim notification system;
- Processing out of town witness travel and hotel reservations; and
- Maintaining a calendar of active victim cases which includes keeping track of hearings, trial dates, and sentencing dates.
- Job family (Series)
0303 Miscellaneous Clerk And AssistantSimilar jobs
- Assistants, Office
- Office Assistants
RequirementsRequirements Conditions of Employment
- You must be a United States Citizen or National.
- Background investigation, credit check, and drug test required.
- You must be registered for Selective Service, if applicable.
- If selected, you may be required to complete a one year probationary period.
- You must meet all qualification requirements upon the closing date of this announcement.
Specialized experience is defined as experience receiving calls and correspondence from victims and/or witnesses concerning a variety of difficulties they have experienced as a direct result of a crime; determining program eligibility for victim-witness services; assisting victims and/or witnesses with the logistics of court events, such as dealing with problems from employers, preparing victims and/or witnesses to testify, and providing procedural information; providing information to victims on schedule changes, status of defendant pleas, results of trial, etc.; inputting victim and/or witness data into applicable databases; coordinating the mailing of victim-witness notification letters and information.
To be qualified, you must type at least 40 words per minute based on a 5 minute sample with three or fewer errors. (A typing test may later be required.)
Interagency Career Transition Assistance Plan (ICTAP)- The ICTAP provides eligible displaced Federal competitive service employees with selection priority over other candidates for competitive service vacancies. If your agency has notified you in writing that you are a displaced employee eligible for ICTAP consideration, you may receive selection priority if: 1) this vacancy is within your ICTAP eligibility; 2) you apply under the instructions in the announcement; and 3) you are found well-qualified for this vacancy. To be well-qualified, you must satisfy all qualification requirements for the vacant position and receive a score of 85 or better on established ranking criteria. You must provide proof of eligibility to receive selection priority. Such proof may include a copy of your written notification of ICTAP eligibility or a copy of your separation personnel action form. Additional information about ICTAP eligibility is at: http://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/workforce-restructuring/employee-guide-to-career-transition/ .
Career Transition Assistance Plan (CTAP)- The CTAP provides eligible surplus and displaced competitive service employees in the Department of Justice with selection priority over other candidates for competitive service vacancies. If your Department of Justice component has notified you in writing that you are a surplus or displaced employee eligible for CTAP consideration, you may receive selection priority if: 1) this vacancy is within your CTAP eligibility, 2) you apply under the instructions in this announcement, and 3) you are found well-qualified for this vacancy. To be well qualified, you must satisfy all qualification requirements for the vacant position and receive a score of 85 or better on established ranking criteria. You must provide a copy of your written notification of CTAP eligibility with your application. Additional information about CTAP eligibility is at: http://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/workforce-restructuring/employee-guide-to-career-transition/ . Education Additional information
Payment of relocation expenses will not be authorized.
The Department of Justice offers a comprehensive benefits package that includes, in part, paid vacation; sick leave; holidays; telework; life insurance; health benefits; and participation in the Federal Employees Retirement System.
Veterans' Preference - If you are entitled to Veterans' Preference, you must indicate the type of preference you are claiming by checking the appropriate box in the assessment questionnaire to indicate your preference and submit the required veterans' preference documentation as specified in the, "Required Documents" section of this vacancy announcement.
Selective Service: If you are a male applicant born after December 31, 1959, you must certify that you have registered with the Selective Service System, or are exempt from having to do so under the Selective Service Law. See www.sss.gov .
Reasonable Accommodation Statement: Federal Agencies must provide reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities, where
EEO Statement: The United States Government does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, status as a parent, genetic information, disability, age, membership or nonmembership in an employee organization, or on the basis of personal favoritism.
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
Your application will be evaluated and rated under DOJ's Category Rating and Selection Procedures. Your resume and supporting documentation will be used to determine whether you meet the job qualifications listed on this announcement. If you are basically qualified for this job, your resume and supporting documentation will be compared to your responses on the Occupational Questionnaire. If you rate yourself higher than is supported by your application materials, your responses may be adjusted and/or you may be excluded from consideration for this job. If it is determined you meet minimum qualification requirements, your application will then be placed in one of three categories: Best Qualified, Highly Qualified, or Qualified . Within these categories, applicants eligible for Veterans' Preference will receive selection priority over non-veteran preference eligibles. In addition, qualified veterans with a compensable service-connected disability of 10% or more are placed at the top of the highest quality category (i.e., Best Qualified).Background checks and security clearance Security clearance
You will be rated on the following Competencies (see The Delegated Examining Operations Handbook, Appendix F for definitions):
Attention to Detail, Customer Service, Manages and Organizes Information, and Teamwork
The Occupational Questionnaire will take you approximately 20 minutes to complete.
OtherDrug test required
YesPosition sensitivity and risk
Non-sensitive (NS)/Low RiskTrust determination process
Required DocumentsRequired Documents You must provide a complete Application Package which includes:
- Required: Your responses to the Online Occupational Questionnaire (This is completed automatically during the apply online process).
- Required: Your resume showing relevant experience and dates (for full consideration you must include day/month/year) of employment and work schedule for each (e.g., part-time XX hours per week or full-time) (cover letter optional).). Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community, student, social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
-Required, if applicable: CTAP/ICTAP documentation (a copy of a separation notice or other proof of eligibility for priority selection; a copy of an SF-50, Notification of Personnel Action, showing current position, grade, promotion potential, and duty location; AND a copy of your most recent performance appraisal.)
- Required, if applicable: Veterans' Preference documentation. See Required Veterans' Preference Documentation below. Please note, if you are entitled to Veterans' Preference, you must indicate the type of preference you are claiming in your application, check the appropriate box in the assessment questionnaire to indicate your preference, and submit the required documentation as specified below.
Required Veterans' Preference Documentation:
- In order to verify your Veterans' Preference entitlement, you must submit a copy of the Member Copy 4 of your DD-214 (Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty); or if you are a current Active Duty member you must submit a certification on appropriate military branch letterhead that indicates: 1) your service dates, 2) expected discharge or release date from active duty with a release/discharge date no later than 120 days from the closing date of this announcement, and 3) the character of service (e.g., Honorable); or other official documentation (e.g., documentation of receipt of a campaign badge or expeditionary medal) that shows your military service was performed under honorable conditions.
In addition, if you are a disabled veteran, a Purple Heart recipient, or widow/widower if a veteran, the spouse of a disabled veteran or the parent of a disabled or deceased veteran, you must submit a Standard Form (SF) 15, "Application for 10-Point Veteran Preference" dated October 2013 and all the required documentation identified on the reverse side of the SF-15 to support your preference claim. If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education .
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.
A career with the U.S. Government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding. Learn more about federal benefits .
Review our benefits
Eligibility for benefits depends on the type of position you hold and whether your position is full-time, part-time, or intermittent. Contact the hiring agency for more information on the specific benefits offered.
For more information on the Department of Justice and the United States Attorneys' Offices, visit www.justice.gov/usao/ .
As needed, additional positions may be filled using this announcement.
If selected for this position, you will join a well-respected team that is responsible for providing a wide variety of services to support the Victim-Witness program and Victim-Witness staff. Typical work assignments will include:
Responsibilities will increase and assignments will become more complex as your training and experience progress. Travel Required
Occasional travel - You may be expected to travel for this position.Supervisory status
Customer Operations Mgr/Rep ($30/hr, 25-30 hrs/wk)Guesthop$30 an hourGuesthop is a Bay Area hospitality company based in San Francisco, providing short term rental property management services to people who share their homes on19 second agoShareSan Francisco Bay Area, CA
Deskside Support / Break-Fix / IMAC TechnicianCynet SystemsWe are looking for Deskside Support Break-Fix IMAC Technician for our client in Marlborough, MA Job Title Deskside Support Break-Fix IMAC Technician Job Location6 minute agoShareMarlborough, MA
Administrative SecretaryCity of Indio, CA$46,796 - $69,139 a year***DISCLAIMER: The City reserves the right to accelerate or extend the "Closing Date" of open positions at any time, dependent upon the number of applications received.15 minute agoShareIndio, CA
Office Assistant - (Establish Eligible List)Orange County Sanitation District$23.97 - $29.13 an hourAt the Orange County Sanitation District our Core Values form the framework of our organization and reinforce our professional work ethic. If the following values ring16 minute agoShareFountain Valley, CA 92708
Human Resources/ Food Safety AssistantSeason Produce Company$20 an hourSeason Produce Company is a wholesale produce distributor operating out of two locations in Los Angeles and Vernon. They are seeking to hire a full-time assistant to the19 minute agoShareLos Angeles, CA 90021