Chief of Staff
thredUP is transforming resale with technology and a mission to inspire a new generation of consumers to think secondhand first. By making it easy to buy and sell secondhand, thredUP has become one of the world’s largest resale platforms for women’s and kids’ apparel, shoes and accessories. Sellers love thredUP because we make it easy to clean out their closets and unlock value for themselves or for the charity of their choice while doing good for the planet. Buyers love shopping value, premium and luxury brands all in one place, at up to 90% off estimated retail price. Our proprietary operating platform is the foundation for our managed marketplace and consists of distributed processing infrastructure, proprietary software and systems and data science expertise. In 2018, we extended our platform with thredUP’s Resale-As-A-Service (RaaS Ⓡ), which facilitates modern resale for a number of the world’s leading brands and retailers. thredUP has processed over 125 million unique secondhand items from 35,000 brands across 100 categories. By extending the life cycle of clothing, thredUP is changing the way consumers shop and ushering in a more sustainable future for the fashion industry. Job Description How You Will Make An Impact As Chief of Staff, you will report directly to James Reinhart, thredUP’s CEO and Cofounder, and have significant exposure to thredUP’s Executive team. This role is ideal for someone who aspires to be an Executive or General Manager longer-term, and wants a window into what running a publicly-traded company is like. We envision this role as a 2-3 year “tour of duty” with the potential to move into a strategic P&L position within thredUP or pursue a graduate degree (the prior Chief of Staff decided to pursue an MBA).
Your overarching responsibility is to be a force-multiplier to James such that he can be more effective as a CEO. To clarify, this role is not meant to be an Executive Assistant. James already has an Executive Assistant to manage his calendar and other tactical workstreams.
Because this role works closely with senior leaders at thredUP, you must be able to work at our Oakland HQ 3 days a week (we offer 4-day workweeks with Tuesday as a work-from-home Maker Day). While we offer a highly flexible working environment at thredUP, candidates for this position should be prepared for the “on-call” and fast-paced nature of the role given the CEO’s schedule and urgency of executive priorities.
Below are examples of what the past Chief of Staff worked on:
- Special Projects: Scope business opportunities (financial model, market sizing, industry analysis, market research) and manage the development of new ventures.
- Presentations: Build high-quality slides for Company All Hands meetings, industry conferences and others external collaborations
- Communications: Create outlines/working drafts of internal and external communications as well as thought pieces and Op-Eds.
- Strategic Partnerships: Attend meetings sometimes with and sometimes without James and external parties (potential strategic partners, RaaS clients, etc.) and manage next steps.
- Board, Earnings and All Hands Meetings: Manage the preparation timeline for Board, Earnings and All Hands meetings by drafting topics, creating slides, and ensuring teams submit their content on time.
- Executive Meetings: Assist thredUP’s Executive team by preparing agendas, taking notes, and assigning action items during weekly Executive meetings and quarterly Executive offsites.
- Culture: Collaborate with James’ Executive Assistant and thredUP’s Chief People Officer to execute on cultural initiatives like Culture Awards and BizUP (a course on business theory taught by thredUP Executives).
- 3-5+ years of experience in consulting, banking, private equity, startups, or similar paths that have given you a diverse business skillset and acumen.
- Extremely strong written and verbal communication skills; ability to draft polished slides.
- Experience with reading and understanding financial statements is valued.
- Strategic and methodical thinker that connects the dots between company priorities and broader macro trends.
- Collaborates effectively with others, but can also work independently with minimal guidance and hand-holding.
- Demonstrated leadership potential and prior experience managing people.
- High level of maturity and comfort interacting with senior executives.
- Strong quantitative skills combined with great attention to detail.
- Ability to prioritize multiple time-sensitive workstreams and manage sensitive information with discretion.
- A can-do positive attitude and enthusiasm for thredUP’s mission.
- Resume (please limit to one page only)
- Two writing samples that demonstrate your written communication abilities so we can see how you think and how you communicate. This can be an essay, article, blog post, memo, etc.. Please don’t share any confidential information and no need to create new content.
- One set of slides that demonstrate your ability to communicate via slides (and general slide formatting abilities). Please don’t share any confidential information.
Many thredUP employees also have the opportunity to own shares of thredUP stock. thredUP employees are eligible for discretionary restricted stock unit awards, as well as a discount when purchasing thredUP stock if voluntarily participating in thredUP’s Employee Stock Purchase Plan. Subject to eligibility requirements, you’ll also receive other benefits: Comprehensive medical & dental coverage, vision, 401k, life and disability insurance. What We Offer:
- 4-day work week, with Fridays off
- Competitive salary (we leverage market data)
- Many thredUP employees also have the opportunity to own shares of thredUP stock and are eligible for discretionary restricted stock unit awards
- Employee stock purchase plan
- Flexible PTO (take the time you need) + 13 company holidays
- Paid Sabbatical after 3 years of full time employment
- Generous paid parental leave for new mothers and fathers
- Medical, dental, vision, 401k, life and disability insurance offered
- We live by our Core Values of Transparency, SpeakingUP, Thinking Big, Infinite Learning, Influencing Outcomes & Seeking the Truth
- Thrift the Look– TIME Magazine, The Best Inventions of 2022
ReceptionistPOWER Engineers, Inc.$40,000 - $45,000 a yearFull-timeReceptionist POWER is seeking a full-time Receptionist to work in our Denver, Colorado office for the Corporate Administrative Services Group. At POWER Engineers,2 hour agoShareDenver, CO 80235
2022-2023 School Aide Posting - I.S. 220NYC Department of Education2022-2023 School Aide Posting - I.S. 220 Posted Date: Mar 29, 2023 Deadline: Apr 19, 2023 Job Details General Duties and2 hour agoShareBrooklyn, NY 11220 (Sunset Park area)
Banquet ServerValorHospitalityEstimated $21.3K - $27K a yearPart-timeTHE MINING EXCHANGE Built in 1902 as a stock exchange for local mining companies, The Mining Exchange, A Wyndham Grand Hotel & Spa lies in the hear of4 hour agoShareColorado Springs, CO
ServerValorHospitalityEstimated $21.9K - $27.7K a yearPart-timeTHE MINING EXCHANGE Built in 1902 as a stock exchange for local mining companies, The Mining Exchange, A Wyndham Grand Hotel & Spa lies in the hear of5 hour agoShareColorado Springs, CO+11 locations
Server Assistant-1ValorHospitalityEstimated $17.3K - $21.9K a yearFull-timeTHE LODGE AT GULF STATE PARK One of the most unique destinations on the Alabama Gulf Coast, The Lodge is located inside the 6,150-acre Gulf State Park. A Hilton5 hour agoShareGulf Shores, AL+2 locations