Purpose of Your Job Position
The primary purpose of your job position is to perform the day-to-day activities of the Housekeeping Department in accordance with current federal, state, and local standards, guidelines and regulations governing our facility, and as may be directed by the Administrator, and/or the Director of Housekeeping, to assure that our facility is maintained in a clean, safe, and comfortable manner.
Delegation of Authority
As Housekeeper, you are delegated the administrative authority, responsibility, and accountability necessary for carrying out your assigned duties.
Every effort has been made to identify the essential functions of this position. However, it in no way states or implies that these are the only duties you will be required to perform. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related, or is an essential function of the position.
- Ensure that work/cleaning schedules are followed as closely as practical.
- Report all accidents/incidents to your supervisor no matter how minor they may be. NOTE: Such occurrences must be reported on the shift in which they occur.
- Coordinate daily housekeeping services with nursing services when performing routine cleaning assignments in resident living and/or recreational areas.
- Agree not to disclose assigned user ID code and password for accessing resident/facility information and promptly report suspected or known violations of such disclosure to the Administrator.
- Agree not to disclose resident’s protected health information and promptly report suspected or known violations of such disclosure to the Administrator.
- Report any known or suspected unauthorized attempt to access facility’s information system.
- Attend departmental and staff meetings as directed or called.
- Perform specific tasks in accordance with daily work assignments.
- File complaints/grievances with your supervisor.
- Report known or suspected incidents of fraud to the Administrator.
- Ensure that departmental computer workstations left unattended are properly logged off or the password protected automatic screen-saver activates within established facility policy guidelines.
- Participate and assist in department studies and projects as directed.
- Attend and participate in in-service educational classes, on-the-job training programs, etc., as scheduled or as directed.
- Attend and participate in annual facility in-service training programs as scheduled e.g., OSHA, TB, HIPAA, Abuse Prevention, Safety, etc.
- Safety and Sanitation
- Follow established fire safety policies and procedures.
- Follow established safety precautions when performing tasks and when using equipment and supplies.
- Wear and/or use safety equipment and supplies e.g., back brace, mechanical lifts, etc. when lifting or moving heavy objects.
- Ensure that assigned work areas are maintained in a clean, safe, comfortable, and attractive manner.
- Keep work/assignment areas free of hazardous objects such as protruding mop/broom handles, unnecessary equipment, supplies, etc.
- Follow proper techniques when mixing chemicals, disinfectants, and solutions used for cleaning. Refer to manufacturer’s instructions when necessary.
- Follow established policies governing the use of labels and MSDSs.
- Report all hazardous conditions or equipment to your supervisor.
- Ensure that established infection control and universal precautions practices are maintained when performing housekeeping procedures.
- Participate in appropriate in-service training program prior to performing tasks that involve potential exposure to blood, body fluids, or hazardous chemicals.
- Report missing or improperly labeled containers of hazardous chemicals to your supervision.
- Use appropriate personal protective equipment and supplies when handling infectious materials and/or hazardous wastes or chemicals.
- Follow established handwashing procedures.
- Dispose of refuse daily in accordance with our established sanitation procedures.
- Follow established policies governing the use/disposal of personal protective equipment and disposal of infectious wastes.
- Coordinate routine/terminal isolation procedures with nursing service.
- Others that may become necessary/appropriate to assure that our facility is maintained in a clean, safe, and comfortable manner.
Equipment and Supply Functions
- Ensure that an adequate supply of housekeeping supplies to perform daily tasks is maintained in utility/janitorial closets.
- Keep supervisor informed of supply needs.
- Report burned out light bulbs, exit lights, overhead lights, fluorescent lights, room call lights, etc., to your supervisor as soon as practical.
- Assist others in lifting heavy equipment, supplies, etc., as directed or requested.
- Clean work/supply carts, equipment, etc., as necessary or directed.
- Ensure that equipment is cleaned and properly stored at the end of the shift.
- Perform day-to-day housekeeping functions as assigned.
- Perform specific tasks in accordance with daily work assignments.
- Empty and sanitize ash trays daily. NOTE: Ash trays must be emptied into appropriate metal containers with self-closing cover devices.
- Clean/polish furnishings, fixtures, ledges, room heating/cooling units, etc., in resident rooms, recreational areas, etc., daily as instructed.
- Clean, wash, sanitize, and/or polish bathroom fixtures. Ensure that water marks are removed from fixtures.
- Clean windows/mirrors in resident rooms, recreational areas, bathrooms, and entrance/exit ways.
- Clean floors, to include sweeping, dusting, damp/wet mopping, stripping, waxing, buffing, disinfecting, etc. NOTE: Ensure that appropriate caution/safety signs are properly set up prior to performing such duties.
- Clean carpets, to include vacuuming, shampooing, deodorizing, and disinfecting.
- Clean walls and ceilings by washing, wiping, dusting, spot cleaning, disinfecting, deodorizing, etc.
- Remove dirt, dust, grease, film, etc., from surfaces using proper cleaning/disinfecting solutions.
- Clean hallways, stairways, and elevators.
- Discard waste/trash into proper containers and reline trash receptacle with plastic liner.
- Clean vacant rooms as assigned.
- Ensure that work/assignment areas are clean and that equipment, tools, supplies, etc., are properly stored at all times, as well as before leaving such areas for breaks, meal times, and end of the work day.
- Perform isolation cleaning procedures in accordance with established infection control procedures.
- Discard infectious wastes into appropriate containers.
Budget and Planning Functions
Report suspected or known incidence of fraud relative to false billings, cost reports, kickbacks, etc.
- Maintain the confidentiality of all resident care information including protected health information. Report known or suspected incidents of unauthorized disclosure of such information.
- Knock before entering a resident’s room.
- Honor the residents’ personal and property rights.
- Inform resident when it is necessary to move his/her personal possessions during cleaning procedures.
Turn in all found articles to your supervisor.
- Works in all areas of the facility.
- Moves intermittently during working hours.
- Is subject to frequent interruptions and may need to reschedule cleaning activities.
- Is involved with residents, personnel, visitors, government agencies/personnel, etc., under all conditions and circumstances.
- Is subject to hostile and emotionally upset residents, family members, personnel, and visitors.
- Communicates with housekeeping personnel and other department personnel.
- Works beyond normal working hours and on weekends and holidays when necessary, as well as in other positions as needed.
- Is subject to call back during emergency conditions e.g., severe weather, evacuation, post-disaster, etc..
- May be required to work on shifts other than the one for which hired.
- Attends and participates in continuing educational programs.
- Is subject to injury from falls, burns from equipment, odors, etc., throughout the workday, as well as reactions from dust, disinfectants, tobacco smoke, and other air contaminants.
- Is subject to exposure to infectious waste, diseases, conditions, etc., including TB and the AIDS and Hepatitis B viruses.
- May be subject to the handling of and exposure to hazardous chemicals.
Must possess, as a minimum, an 8th grade education.
None required. On-the-job training provided.
- Must be able to read, write, speak, and understand the English language.
- Must possess the ability to make independent decisions, to follow instructions, and to accept constructive criticism.
- Must possess the ability to deal tactfully with personnel, residents, family members, visitors, government agencies/personnel, and the general public.
- Must maintain the care and use of supplies, equipment, etc., and maintain the appearance of housekeeping areas, must perform regular inspections of resident rooms/units for sanitation, order, safety and proper performance of assigned duties.
- Must be willing to work harmoniously with other personnel as well as be willing to handle residents based on whatever maturity level at which they are currently functioning.
- Must possess the ability to seek out new methods and principles and be willing to incorporate them into existing housekeeping practices.
- Must be able to follow written and oral instructions concerning the mixing of cleaning compounds, liquids, disinfecting solutions, etc.
- Must be able to relate information concerning a resident’s condition.
- Must not pose a direct threat to the health or safety of other individuals in the workplace.
Physical and Sensory Requirements
- With or Without the Aid of Mechanical Devices
- Must be able to move intermittently throughout the workday.
- Must be able to speak and write the English language in an understandable manner.
- Must be able to cope with the mental and emotional stress of the position.
- Must possess sight/hearing senses or use prosthetics that will enable these senses to function adequately so that the requirements of this position can be fully met.
- Must function independently and have flexibility, personal integrity, and the ability to work effectively with the residents, personnel.
- Must meet the general health requirements set forth by the policies of this facility, which include a medical and physical examination.
- Must be able to relate to and work with ill, disabled, elderly, emotionally upset, and, at times, hostile people within the facility.
- Must be able to push, pull, move, and/or lift a minimum of pounds to a minimum height of feet and be able to push, pull, move, and/or carry such weight a minimum distance of 0 feet.
- May be necessary to assist in the evacuation of residents during emergency situations.
- Must be able to push, pull, move and/or lift a minimum of 25 pounds to a minimum height of 5 feet and be able to push, pull, move, and/or carry such weight a minimum distance of 50 feet.
HousekeeperHawkeye HospitalityEstimated $25.2K - $31.8K a yearPart-timeHawkeye Hotels represents the highest quality, state of the art hotels that are either new or newly renovated. We take it as a matter of professional pride to exceed the10 hour agoShareMinneapolis, MN
Housekeeper - Rockefeller ApartmentsS L Nusbaum Realty CoEstimated $25.2K - $31.8K a yearFull-timeThe Rockefeller Apartments in Downtown Norfolk, Virginia is looking for a full time housekeeper for our historic community. PURPOSE OF POSITION: To ensure the2 day agoShareNorfolk, VA 23510
HOUSEKEEPER/ROOM ATTENDANTPark Hyatt New YorkFull-timeSummary At Hyatt, we believe our guests select Hyatt because of our caring and attentive associates who are focused on providing efficient service and2 day agoShareNew York, NY 10019 (Midtown area)+19 locations
HousekeeperTucson Medical CenterEstimated $26.2K - $33.2K a yearFull-time +1Tucson Medical Center (TMC) is Tucson’s only non-profit community owned hospital. Employees choose to work at TMC because of our values of integrity, community,2 day agoShareTucson, AZ 85712 (Glenn Heights area)
Hotel HousekeeperUSCEstimated $39.9K - $50.5K a yearPlease review the Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Plan page for more details regarding your rights and obligations as a job candidate. USC2 day agoShareLos Angeles, CA