Full Job Description
You are the smile our customers and truck drivers see that will reassure them that their freight will get to where it is supposed to be! Come join AML as our freight handler where you will direct traffic in the truck lanes to keep freight flowing smoothly and safely.
What's in it for you? 7 days paid time off a year + 8 paid holidays, medical, dental, vision and 401K with employer match and more!
$38K - 45K! is how much you can earn working on average 45 hours a week. Responsibilities: ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Review Bills of Lading (BOL) documents for accuracy and compare the freight stickers printed by the receiving staff to the BOL to ensure accuracy. Cross reference the markings on the freight that are affixed to the cargo.
- Alert Customer Service/Receiving staff in the breakbulk office about any discrepancies or problems as the checker is the “eyes” on the freight.
- Affixing labels to the cargo.
- Count pieces and measure all the dimensions of bundles and length of the cargo ranging from cars, boats, truckloads of building materials, vehicles, machinery, houses, etc.
- Write on the bill of lading an accurate descriptions of the freight.
- Note any damage that arrived with the freight so that company does not get a claim for damage they are not responsible for.
- Legibly sign and ensure accuracy for the freight piece count to ensure customers who view their bill of lading on the company web site will be able to read the documents as well as the AML staff who view the documents to do their work.
- Return the bill of lading to the office in a timely manner.
- Complete “Load Sheet” or use a bar code scanner to indicate what freight was loaded to what piece of equipment.
- Check in cars, or any cargo needing an inspection report with accuracy. Note every ding, dent, or scratch.
- Check freight equipment as it is offloaded from the barge resolving discrepancies.
- Document equipment position/location as they are loaded to barges. Update internal STOW program and add to/update VISIO stow plan.
- Create shipments based on booking number and information provided on the bill of lading using PSE screen.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE: High School Education or GED is required. Experience in transportation or freight shipping is preferred
LANGUAGE SKILLS: Ability to read, analyze, and interpret documents such as tariffs, procedural manuals and employee and safety handbooks. Ability to write clearly and be understood. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, customers, employees, service partners and the general public.
MATHEMATICAL SKILLS: Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals. Ability to compute rate, ratio, and percentage and apply those concepts to work related situations.
REASONING ABILITY: Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS: Valid driver’s license and good driving record is preferred. Able to meet forklift certification requirements. Must be eligible to apply and be issued a TWIC (Transportation Workers Identification Card) Must be able to be trained to obtain Hazardous Materials Training certification to meet requirements of 49 CFR 172.700.
OTHER SKILLS and ABILITIES:
- Ability to meet a regular work schedule.
- Ability and willingness to work overtime as required.
- Ability to plan, organize and prioritize work to meet schedules/deadlines.
- Regular attendance and timeliness are essential functions of this position. Daily physical presence is required.
- Ability to work alone or as part of a team with minimal supervision.
- Ability to change focus and job duties in a fast moving, time restricted environment.
- Detail oriented, with legible handwriting.
- PC skills required: Windows, Excel, Outlook, keyboarding proficiency. Keyboard and ten key by touch
- Employee must possess a genuine desire and skill to meet the customer's needs in the most efficient manner
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: Alaska Marine Lines is a federal contractor so all employees, including employees working from home/remotely, are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand; use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to walk; climb or balance; and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl to examine freight. The employee will stand on ladders to reach high enough to hold a staple gun to swing and to attach labels.
The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 20 pounds, frequently lift and/or move up to 25 pounds, and occasionally lift and/or move up to 30 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
The employee will drive a low speed vehicle and carry a measuring tape and clipboards to record work as well as walk through the yard, possibly from 4 to 8 to 12 miles a day when in busy season. The employee is occasionally exposed to fumes or airborne particles; toxic or caustic chemicals.
Employee is required to wear PPE as outlined in Company’s Industrial Health and Safety Manual which may include hard hat, safety toe shoes/boots, gloves, safety glasses/goggles, hearing protection and respiratory protection. The employee needs the ability to work in a constant state of alertness and in a safe manner.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently outside exposed to wet and/or humid conditions; moving mechanical parts; fumes or airborne particles; outside weather conditions; extreme cold; extreme heat; hazardous materials and vibration while being constantly aware of the many trucks in the truck lanes and remain safe.
The noise levels in the different work environments are from quiet to loud.
COMMENTS: This job description is not an employment agreement or contract. Management has the exclusive right to alter this job description at any time without notice. Federal law requires Alaska Marine Lines to verify the identity and employment eligibility of all persons hired to work in the United States. Alaska Marine Lines will provide the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) with information from each new employee's Form I-9 to confirm work authorization.
Details: http://bit.ly/2nk3jWa EEO Poster EEO Poster Supplement
A post conditional offer of employment physical, drug test, background investigation and COVID-19 vaccination are required.
Random drug testing is required of all Alaska Marine Lines employees.
Alaska Marine Lines is an equal opportunity employer. AML does not discriminate based upon race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, honorably discharged veteran or military status, citizenship or immigration status, age, national origin, the presence of any physical, mental, or sensory disability, gender identity, genetic information, status as a victim of domestic violence, sexual assault, or stalking, political ideology, or any other status protected by federal, state, or local law.
Veterans and Minorities are encouraged to apply. VEVRAA Federal Contractor. Priority referrals for protected veterans.
Produce Labeler and CheckerOakes Farms Inc.Job details Salary $10.00 - $10.50 an hour Job Type Full-time Part-time Number of hires for this role 10+ Qualifications Day Shift (Preferred) Night Shift31-12-2021ShareImmokalee, FL
Counter Exchanger Checker ProcessorUS Bureau of Engraving and PrintingJob details Salary $27.23 - $29.48 an hour Job Type Full-time Full Job Description Duties As a Counter Exchanger Checker Processor, you will: Utilize physical26-12-2021ShareWashington, DC