Planning and Zoning Division Manager
Job details Salary $64,137 - $82,461 a year Job Type Full-time Full Job Description
Anticipated Hiring Range: $64,137 - $82,461/Year D.O.Q.
INCOMPLETE APPLICATIONS WILL NOT* BE PROCESSED.*
A RESUME WILL NOT* BE CONSIDERED IN DETERMINING YOUR QUALIFICATIONS FOR THIS POSITION.*
The City of Fayetteville is seeking an experienced Planning & Zoning Division Manager outstanding leadership, communication, interpersonal, organizational, and presentation skills. This critical role plans, directs and manages the field operations and administrative functions of the Planning and Zoning Division. Develops, coordinates, directs and manages routine and special assignments with other City departments, public and regulatory official and City Council.
The ideal candidate will be a results-oriented, forward-thinking leader highly skilled in planning and zoning principles and practices.
Key responsibilities include:
- Manage the daily responsibilities for planning and zoning tasks, functions and activities, directing all programs, communications, services and use of resources for the Planning and Zoning Division.
- Manage the development and implementation of division goals, objectives, policies, and priorities for each assigned service area; establish appropriate service and staffing levels, monitor and evaluate the efficiency and effectiveness of service delivery methods and procedures, and allocate resources accordingly.
- Ensure programs, processes and activities are in compliance with all City, state and federal laws and regulations applicable to land use planning and development, zoning, economic development and environmental principles and practices.
- Plan, direct and coordinate through staff the division’s work plan, assign projects in programmatic areas of responsibility, review and evaluate work methods and procedures, meet with staff to identify and resolve problems.
- Oversee the development and administration of the division’s budget, approve expenditures and implement budgetary adjustments as appropriate and necessary.
- Present recommendations and serve as a resource to management and the City administration as well as the Planning Commission, Board of Adjustment, Appearance Commission, Historic Resources Commission, Zoning Commission, and City Council.
- Facilitate various public meetings and hearings related to the programs and activities of the Planning and Zoning Division and the various commissions; collaborate with the County planning department.
- Manage the development of comprehensive, master, transportation and specific area development plans in consultation with other City divisions and departments, as well as developers, contractors, consultants, public officials and the general public.
- Represent the Planning and Zoning Division to other City departments, elected officials and outside agencies, coordinate activities with other departments and outside agencies and organizations; promptly and professionally responds to media inquiries, City Administration and City Council concerns and issues, and community needs.
- Attend and participate in professional meetings (NCAPA, APA, and NC Zoning Officials, etc.) to stay abreast of industry best practices as well as new planning and community development trends and innovations.
Key qualifications include:
- Minimum of Five (5) years of experience of administrative and supervisory responsibility which includes at least three years of local land use planning and development work or management.
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university; a Master's degree is preferred.
- American Institute of Certified Planners certification or similar is preferred.
- Proven experience in managing multiple projects in a fast-paced environment with strong prioritization and organizational skills.
- Proven experience in decision making regarding issues that are highly sensitive.
- Knowledge of operations, services and activities of a comprehensive municipal urban planning and zoning program including the provision of technical support to a variety of boards, committees and/or agencies.
- Knowledge of management principles, practices and techniques to analyze programs, policies and operational needs.
- Knowledge of principles and practices of municipal budget preparation and administration.
- Knowledge of pertinent federal, state and local laws, codes and regulations.
- Knowledge of modern and complex techniques and practices of building construction.
- Knowledge of principles and practices of urban and regional planning and zoning including emerging trends and best practices.
- Knowledge of land use law as well as planning principles and practices.
- Knowledge of principles of personnel supervision, training and performance evaluation.
- High level of oral and written communication skills; excellent computer skills including Microsoft Word, Excel, and Powerpoint.
Health and Dental Insurance:
The City of Fayetteville Employee Healthcare Benefit Plan provides comprehensive and affordable health and dental coverage while maintaining reasonable costs to employees. Coverage is available for all regular status employees scheduled to work 30 hours or more per week. Employees may also choose to cover eligible dependents. The premium is deducted on a pre-tax basis, with the City paying a portion of the premium. Qualifying employees are eligible for benefits on the 1st day of the month following 30 days of service.
Employer Paid Leave
Paid Vacation: Employees earn vacation leave beginning the first day of employment, however, they are not eligible to take leave for 6 months. Leave accruals are based upon the number of years of service and the number of hours an employee is scheduled to work.
Paid Holidays: The City of Fayetteville observes 11 paid holidays per calendar year. The approved holidays are New Year's Day, Martin Luther King Jr. Day, Good Friday, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Veteran's Day, 2 days at Thanksgiving and 2 days at Christmas.
Sick / Funeral Leave: Regular employees earn sick leave in proportion to the number of hours they are scheduled to work per week. Sick leave accruals begin the first day of employment. Sick leave can also be taken for deaths in your extended family. Sick leave hours accumulate without limits and may be used toward credible service upon retirement from the NC Local Government Retirement System.
The City assists our employees in securing their financial future during retirement by participating in the Local Governmental Employees' Retirement System, administered by the State of North Carolina. Regular status employees, scheduled to work 20 hours or more per week, become members in the retirement system upon employment. As a member of this system, employees are required to contribute 6 percent of their gross salary on a tax-deferred basis.
Deferred Compensation Plans:
To further assist employees in saving for retirement, the City offers two supplemental retirement savings programs. These programs offer employees an opportunity to save a portion of their salary on a tax-deferred basis to supplement their retirement benefit. The programs offered are 401(k) Supplemental Retirement Income Plan and the ICMA 457 Plan.
Cafeteria Plan / Supplemental Benefits:
Realizing that each employee may have different insurance needs, the City offers its employees the opportunity to supplement City-provided benefits by selecting from the benefits listed below. These benefits are offered at employee's expense through payroll deduction:
- Term Life Insurance (Pre-tax basis first $50,000 for employees)
- Dependent Term Life Insurance
- Critical Illness Insurance
- Universal Life Insurance
- Vision Insurance (Pre-tax basis)
- Disability Insurance
- Healthcare and Dependent Care Reimbursement Account (Pre-tax basis)
The first year an employee contributes to the retirement system, the city provides a death benefit of $3,000. After one year as a contributing member of the Retirement System, a death benefit is provided that is equal to the highest 12 months' salary in a row during the 24 months before death, no less than $25,000 and no more than $50,000. There is no cost to the employee for these benefits.
Pay Periods/Direct Deposit:
City employees are paid bi-weekly, every other Friday. As an added convenience and safety measure, the City requires all new employees to sign up for direct deposit of their payroll checks.
Employee Assistance Program:
The EAP is available at no cost to all employees and their household members. The EAP provides confidential guidance on legal, financial and personal issues that could affect your health, relationships and job performance.
Location: City Hall
433 Hay Street
Fayetteville,North Carolina,28301, Fayetteville, NC 28301
Job Type: Full-time
Work Location: Multiple Locations
CS- Compliance Specialist-Remote PositionAdvantage Credit$18 an hourJob details Salary $18 an hour Job Type Full-time Number of hires for this role On-going need to fill this role Qualifications Mortgage Auditing: 2 years6 hour agoShareRemote
SuperintendentRichmond American HomesJob details Job Type Full-time Full Job Description Overview: BREAK GROUND ON A REWARDING CAREER WITH US! At MDC Holdings, Inc./Richmond American Homes, we6 hour agoShareTucson, AZ 85706+22 locations
Customer Service Associate (FT)Amazon.com$15 an hourJob details Salary $15 an hour Job Type Full-time Full Job Description Seasonal Full-Time Customer Service Associate. APPLY HERE6 hour agoShareKennewick, WA 99336
Impact, Monitoring, and Evaluation (M&E) SpecialistAmerican StandardOverview: About SATO Created in 2012 with the aim to tackle the global sanitation challenge, SATO is an award-winning social business with the purpose to offer6 hour agoShareUnited States
Kitchen Manager $3,000 Hiring Bonus & Extra Vacation Days!CMX CinemasJob details Job Type Full-time Number of hires for this role 2 Full Job Description CMX Cinemas Daytona 12 is excited to announce we are hiring! We believe it is6 hour agoShareDaytona Beach, FL 32114