Administrative Assistant - Parks & Recreation
Full Job Description DEPARTMENT SUMMARY
The citizens of Astoria enjoy a wide array of parks, open spaces and diverse recreational programs. The community takes great pride in their parks system and expects a high standard of maintenance, quality programs, and excellent customer service. Beyond open and park spaces, the Department is responsible for key facilities and programs such as the Astoria Aquatic Center, Astoria Recreation Center, Oceanview Cemetery, and Lil Sprouts childcare center. A large portion of the support required by the Parks Department for this role is assistance at Lil' Sprouts due to staffing shortages and a demand for development of curriculums and protocols for early education, as well as additional full time staff contributing to the overall operation of the facility.POSITION SUMMARY
This position is responsible for performing a variety of administrative and technical duties in support of the Parks & Recreation Department and mission. Priorities for this position include providing excellent customer service to internal and external contacts, working with City & Department software, and assisting and supporting Department communications, marketing, outreach, and operations. Work will primarily take place at the Lil' Sprouts childcare, but will also entail duties at the Astoria Aquatic Center or other Parks locations as needed. Routine daily tasks may include:
- Support activities related to all facets of childcare and childcare programmatic development
- Assistance with development and editing of curriculum and program documents
- Direct contact and communications with staff, parents, and members of the public
- Helps produce, plan, and execute response documents for emergency situations at Lil' Sprouts and other facilities including fire drills, earthquake drills, etc.
- Assistance developing policies, procedures, and manuals related to childcare, fitness, sports and aquatics activities
- Researches and summarizes information from various sources either into narrative or report format of own or established design including grants, specifications and public notices.
- Performs technical duties directly related to the function/operations of the assigned department.
- Uses database systems to organize data, track financials, generate statistics, track compensation systems, and a wide range of other tasks.
- Provides and receives information of a non-routine, unique or complex nature; composes necessary correspondence in response.
- Handles information of a sensitive and confidential nature.
- Creates rough drafts or recordings a variety of memos, letters, documents and reports; edits/reviews correspondence and reports for grammar, punctuation, spelling and/or accuracy of content.
- Answers phones, routes calls, makes appointments and takes messages; makes travel arrangements, works with public in department setting.
- Establishes and maintains a variety of files or other records.
- Maintains and reconciles various accounting and budget records.
Ability to perform essential job duties with or without reasonable accommodation and without posing a direct threat to safety or health of employee or others. To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- High school graduation or equivalency
- Three years of progressively responsible administrative duties or any equivalent combination of experience and training which demonstrates the knowledge, skills and abilities to perform the above described duties.
- Ability to pass a City-required background check which includes criminal and sex offender records checks.
- One year experience in a child care facility, school or working with children.
- One year experience working for a Parks and Recreation department or facility.
This position does not have any supervisory responsibilities.MATHEMATICAL SKILLS
Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, interest, commissions, proportions, percentages, area, circumference, and volume. Ability to apply concepts of basic algebra and geometry.COMPUTER SKILLS
Job requires specialized computer skills. Must be adept at using various applications including database, spreadsheet, report writing, project management, graphics, word processing, presentation creation/editing, communicate by e-mail and use scheduling software.REASONING ABILITY
Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form. Ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations.WORK ENVIRONMENT AND PHYSICAL DEMANDS
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand; walk; reach with hands and arms; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl and talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel. The employee is occasionally required to sit; climb or balance and taste or smell. Employee work will vary from sedentary work to engaging and keeping up with active children; running, jumping, crawling, walking, etc.
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate and occasional noisy.
Employment will be contingent upon the successful completion of a background check.
This position will remain open until filled. First review: February 8, 2021.
We encourage applicants to apply sooner rather than later as the position may close during the first review.
BCCINumotionBy joining Numotion, you will be a part of the nation's leading provider of Complex Rehabilitation Technology. Numotion is helping thousands of people with individually25 minute agoShareUnited States
Data Entry ClerkFettys Custom Floor Coverings Inc.$35 - $65 an hourJob details Salary $35 - $65 an hour Job Type Full-time Contract Number of hires for this role 10+ Qualifications High school or equivalent26 minute agoShareRemote
Diagram Specialist (Data Entry)Interior Logic GroupHome Design Systems (HDS) is a full-service we based designer program that provides pricing & imaging for new home buyers. Job Description: Looking for a1 hour agoShareArizona
Administrative Specialist, ZA-0341-II(GS-9/11)US Department of Commerce$60,129 - $94,581 a yearJob details Salary $60,129 - $94,581 a year Job Type Full-time Part-time Full Job Description Duties Summary Are you ready to explore your future with NIST?Your1 hour agoShareGaithersburg, MD
Mail & Records Services - Administrative Assistant II, Administrative Services (DC)State of Colorado Job Opportunities$2,896 a monthDepartment Information This job announcement will close upon receiving 50 applications or the announced closing date, whichever occurs first. The Colorado Department1 hour agoShareLakewood, CO