Local Hire (Civil Rights Advisor)
Job details Salary $48.01 - $49.70 an hour Job Type Full-time Part-time Temporary Full Job Description Duties Summary
The Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) has an immediate need to employ residents of Philadelphia, PA; Hyattsville, MD; Norfolk, VA; and the surrounding areas as temporary local hires to assist with disaster response and recovery efforts. Local hire employees are local residents who aid in the recovery of the community and help their fellow citizens in the recovery process. Apply for this exciting opportunity!
View common definitions of terms found in this announcement.
The Department of Homeland Security (DHS) is calling on those who want to help protect American interests and secure our Nation. DHS Components work collectively to prevent terrorism; secure borders and our transportation systems; protect the President and other dignitaries; enforce and administer immigration laws; safeguard cyberspace; and ensure resilience to disasters. We achieve these vital missions through a diverse workforce spanning hundreds of occupations. Make an impact; join DHS.
When disaster strikes, America looks to the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA). Now FEMA looks to you. Join our team and use your talent to support Americans in their times of greatest need. FEMA prepares the nation for all hazards and manages Federal response and recovery efforts following any national incident. We foster innovation, reward performance and creativity, and provide challenges on a routine basis with a well-skilled, knowledgeable, high performance workforce. Please visit www.fema.gov for additional information.
Local Hire employees:
- Help FEMA respond to, recover from and mitigate all hazards by performing a variety of emergency management functions which are not limited to disaster survivor assistance, conducting and verifying damage assessments, and providing administrative, financial and logistical support.
- A local hire’s term of employment is 120 days. Local Hire appointments may be extended, in 120 day increments, for a maximum 365 day appointment, based on the needs of the disaster.
- Work within 23 different Cadres which are groups of personnel organized by operational function and FEMA Qualification System (FQS) position.
- Each Local Hire is hired to a position within a Cadre based on his or her skills and experience.
FEMA is seeking candidates with experience in Civil Rights compliance.
In this position, you will be responsible for implementing Civil Rights compliance in connection with programs and services provided by FEMA. Typical assignments include:
- Implementing Civil Rights compliance with and enforcement of civil rights jurisdiction in connection with programs and services provided by FEMA.
- Developing a civil rights focused culture throughout programs and activities conducted directly by FEMA, those carried out by contractors on behalf of FEMA, and those receiving federal financial assistance.
- Identifying and acting upon potential opportunities for equitable and impartial delivery of FEMA programs and activities to individuals with disabilities and/or individuals with Limited English Proficiency (LEP).
- Administering the Agency’s civil rights compliance and enforcement procedures outlined in 44 CFR Part 7.
- Ensuring FEMA’s commitment to nondiscrimination based on disability in FEMA-conducted and FEMA-assisted programs and activities.
- Pursuing opportunities to build sustainable, long term relationship with potential external stakeholder.
Occasional travel - Occasional travel may be required.Supervisory status
Job family (Series)
0301 Miscellaneous Administration And Program
RequirementsRequirements Conditions of Employment
- You must be a U.S. citizen to be considered for this position.
- You must successfully pass a background investigation.
- Selective service registration is required for males born after 12/31/59.
- Please review "Other Information" section for additional conditions.
To ensure the accomplishment of our mission, DHS requires every employee to be reliable and trustworthy. To meet those standards, all selected applicants must undergo, successfully pass, and maintain a Moderate Risk background investigation as a condition of placement into this position. This may include a credit check after initial job qualifications are determined, a review of financial issues, such as delinquency in the payment of debts, child support and/or tax obligations, as well as certain criminal offenses and illegal use or possession of drugs (please visit: Mythbuster on Federal Hiring Policies for additional information). For more information on background investigations for Federal jobs please visit OPM Investigations.
Please ensure you meet the qualification requirements described below.Qualifications
FEMA is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Salaries are comparable to local pay rates.
FEMA’s mission is to support our citizens and first responders to ensure that as a nation we work together to build, sustain, and improve our capability to prepare for, protect against, respond to, recover from, and mitigate all hazards.
STAFFORD ACT EXCEPTED SERVICE APPOINTMENTS: The Local Hire Program is an appointment type granted under the Robert T. Stafford Disaster Relief and Emergency Assistance Act, Section 306 (b), which authorizes FEMA to appoint such temporary employees as necessary to accomplish work authorized under the Act. Appointments under this authority within FEMA are made to the excepted service and are nonpermanent in nature.
To qualify for this position, you must possess experience:
- Applying Civil Rights and ADA laws and regulations;
- Managing civil rights cases to assess allegations; and communicating determinations;
- Inspecting facilities/buildings for ADA compliance and accessibility; and
- Analyzing trends, researching, and reporting.
- Minimum 5 Years Civil Rights experience.
- Minimum age of eighteen years of age is required.
- All candidates must be a high school graduate or possess a GED.
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional, philanthropic, religious, spiritual, community, student, social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
Your application must show that you meet all requirements for this position. You may be found "not qualified" if you do not possess the minimum competencies required for the position.
NOTE: Qualifications are based on breadth/level of experience. In addition to describing duties performed, applicants must provide the exact dates of each period of employment (from MM/YY to MM/YY) and the number of hours worked per week if part time. As qualification determinations cannot be made when resumes do not include the required information, failure to provide this information may result in disqualification. Applicants are encouraged to use the USAJOBS Resume Builder to develop their federal resume. For a brief video on How to Create a Federal Resume, click here.Education
Current or former FEMA Reservists/DAE employees: To accurately credit your experience for these intermittent positions, make sure to list the dates (from MM/YY to MM/YY) of each deployment, along with the job title and specific duties you were responsible for during each deployment. Failure to provide this information may result in disqualification.
NOTE: If you are qualifying based on education and/or are selected for a position which requires a college degree to meet minimum qualification requirements, you will be required to submit your official college transcript(s) at time of selection.Additional information
- Local hire positions are full time, temporary positions.
- If you receive a conditional offer of employment for this position, you will be required to complete an Optional Form 306, Declaration for Federal Employment, and to sign and certify the accuracy of all information in your application, prior to entry on duty. False statements on any part of the application may result in withdrawal of offer of employment, dismissal after beginning work, fine, or imprisonment.
- DHS uses E-verify, an internet based system, to confirm the eligibility of all newly hired employees to work in the United States. Learn more about E-Verify, including your rights and responsibilities.
- This announcement may be used to fill one or more vacancies.
- NOTE: Lodging and travel from your residence of record to your duty station in Philadelphia, PA; Hyattsville, MD; or Norfolk, VA will not be reimbursed.
- Applying to this announcement certifies that you give permission for DHS to share your application with others in DHS for similar positions.
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
We will review your resume, supporting documentation, and your responses to the occupational questionnaire to ensure you meet the minimum qualification requirements. If you are qualified, you may be referred to a selection panel for consideration.
We recommend that you preview the online questions for this announcement before you start the application process.
Interview Requirement. Interviews may be required for this position. Failure to complete the interview may result in removal from further consideration.
To preview questions please click here.
Background checks and security clearance Security clearance
Not RequiredDrug test required
NoPosition sensitivity and risk
Moderate Risk (MR)Trust determination process
Required DocumentsRequired Documents
- Your resume. NOTE: Your resume must be in English in order to receive consideration.
- Your responses to the job questionnaire -You will be directed to the online job questionnaire once you begin the application process for this position.
A career with the U.S. Government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding. Opens in a new windowLearn more about federal benefits.
Local Hire employees are eligible for the following benefits:
- Health insurance for individual or family coverage. Employer contribution is 75% of premium. NOTE: Local Hire employees are eligible for enrollment for health insurance coverage as of the official hire date/employment date with FEMA.
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Federal Long Term Care Insurance
- Ability to earn 4 hours of paid Sick Leave per pay period
- Holiday pay
- Worker’s Compensation
Eligibility for benefits depends on the type of position you hold and whether your position is full-time, part-time, or intermittent. Contact the hiring agency for more information on the specific benefits offered.
Help This job is open to
U.S. citizens, nationals or those who owe allegiance to the U.S.
This announcement will close at 11:59 pm EST on April 14, 2021 or at 11:59 pm EST on the day the application limit is reached; whichever comes first. This job is open to: U.S. Citizens.
DirectorGap Inc.Job details Job Type Full-time Full Job Description About Gap Inc. Our brands bridge the gaps we see in the world. Old Navy democratizes style to ensure everyone1 week agoShareUnited States
Data Entry Clerk - Huntington, NYUnitedHealth GroupCombine two of the fastest - growing fields on the planet with a culture of performance, collaboration and opportunity and this is what you get. Leading edge technology1 week agoShareHuntington Station, NY 11746
Customer Engagement AssociateThe Coca-Cola CompanyJob details Job Type Full-time Full Job Description The Customer Engagement Associate (CEA) provides service and support to established and new, internal and1 week agoShareAtlanta, GA 30313 (Downtown area)
Sr. Manager, Category Leadership and Guest Insights – National Foodservice and On PremiseThe Coca-Cola CompanySr. Manager, Category Leadership and Guest Insights – National Foodservice and On Premise POSITION OVERVIEW Come join the new Category Leadership organization1 week agoShareAtlanta, GA 30313 (Downtown area)
Sr. Director of Delivery Excellence, Compliance and SupportNTT DATA ServicesReq ID: 124841 NTT DATA Services strives to hire exceptional, innovative and passionate individuals who want to grow with us. If you want to be part of an inclusive,1 week agoShareMcLean, VA